Self Expectations

So I've come realise that my own expectations of myself are too high. I need and want everything to be perfect right now. I had a 1:1 last week to discuss around my AOLs. I complied a list of subjects to discuss with Adesola it was only talking them through I realised maybe I had gone the wrong way about them/misunderstood the purpose/task. I felt a little deflated initially and disappointed in myself that I had not got things perfect.
I took a day to reflect looked back over my list with the additions and notes from my 1:1 and began the task again... I've now looked at this list daily and tired to an rest specific with what my learning is/was.
I've chosen 1 topic and began to write a 1st draft yesterday, I feel positive and have enjoyed the process. I have found several areas of research and articles/journals surrounding the subject which have helped.
So basically what I've come to understand (which I kind of already knew and I tell my students this everyday) it's ok to not be perfect and know everything from the start. What would be the point of undertaking a course if I already knew everything? It's ok to make mistakes!

Comments

  1. Dear Garry, thank you for sharing. I can relate a lot to what you are writing. Telling my students, that mistakes are ok, often even lead to a better learning experience. But forgetting to apply it to yourself . I actually find it very interesting to go through the experience of being a learner again, it makes me see my students in a different light and relate to them in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Garry, The MAPP journey certainly is useful in realising that we have much to learn and that mistakes are part of it! Thanks for your post.
    Imogen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gary, I just read this as though I'm reading my own story right now!! Also when I had my 1st 1.1, my advisor gave me the same response, and I realised I was trying to go about the AOLs all wrong. I have also started again, and about to hand in my first draft of my 1st AOL, but I havent heard back from my advisor for 2 weeks, so I am just a little concerned if this is going in the right direction. Did Adesola give you feedback on the first draft so you could rework anything ? And may I ask what were your main AOLs in Module 1. Hope Module 3 is going well and thank you for all your posts, they are really helpful to us all in the beginning of this wonderful but if a little daunting journey we are on.
    Best Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts