Research is choreography!?

Whist reading Researching Dance (1999) edited by S. Horton Fraleigh and P. Hanstein the beginning of chapter 2 really struck a chord with me as research is compared to and suggested to have much in common with choreography and dance making.
Until now I had not thought of research in this way before and had probably been quite insular/naive (not sure if that's the right words, but didn't want to use ignorant) within my idea of research and academia but this has allowed me to relate and engage to the process further and it excites me moving forward.

I'm looking to begin researching and finding literature surrounding stereotypes within dance training and the impact and effect they have on students choices and the resiliance to over come these (a working idea, but a start atleast)
I'm interested to hear of any others have drawn these comparisons?

Comments

  1. Research is the improvisational exploration of finding movement or story themes within a choreographic work. Similarly reading articles, journals, and books is very much the thread of ideas developing from one idea to the next while determining what is most important and necessary to retain for the dance or paper or project to express the findings you wish to be shared with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could remember where, but I read a while back about the idea of choreography as research, as in, as a research practice in its own right. It was quite interesting. Researching Dance is such a useful book though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Research will be a journey with many crossroads and while we make choices or discoveries, or have them made for us through interaction the forging into the unknown or perhaps down a familiar street of the known is of great excitement and anticipation. This feeling is one of the same when awaiting an entrance and the music is counting us in! I am looking forward to finding surprises and possibilities of new directions! Hope its all going well and thank you for sharing this book. I am reading Weiss 'Learning From Strangers' and some Dewey again plus others. Keep taking notes and they are all over the place! Will find some order (or not) eventually or never!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing, am going to read this book. is it in Middlesex library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yes I ordered it from the library! Finding myself a tad overwhelmed with reading atm. But sticking with it. Hope yours is going well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts