Interpretation



Its been a while since I last 'blogged' too much reading and trying to put together my submission drafts etc., one thing which I keep coming back to As I explore research methods I keep considering how important interpretation is and how it will affect the data and evidence collected, not only my interpretation but that of others and the participants involved within my inquiry.


Words, body language, tone of voice the list could carry on. I realise that this will be important as I move forwards and undertake the inquiry, id be interested to hear others thoughts on this.


‘’The truth’ is a kaleidoscope of possibilities and, in the field, it depends on who is lifting the kaleidoscope to his or her eyes, when and in which direction it is pointing… ethnographers of dance, we must obviously acknowledge the many constructions of narrative and account for our own; but it also remains our responsibility to aim to distinguish stories from fantasies.’ (Buckland, 1999, p. 205).

I'm also looking at other methods to collect data which will help balance out my inquiry and provide me with a range of qualitative research, images, live performances and choreography are ones I am considering, also art. But need to explore this more!




Comments

  1. Interpretation is such a fascinating thing. You mentioned tone/body language/facial expressions, and I think of times in class where it looks like my students are not happy, but they might just as well be concentrating. I have a pretty unhappy-looking concentration face myself, after all. It's such a tricky thing to interpret communication, which is one of the reasons why I'm so much in favor of straightforwardness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So agree Hannah! I think because of our backgrounds we are very expressive with our facial expressions, but I know that I have and do misread other peoples' expressions. I know I have had pupils who look unhappy but are just concentrating or it's their normal expression. I really try to get to know my pupils so not to judge them incorrectly. As body language is mentioned I don't know what it's like in the UK now, but here in Norway there is little focus on how you stand in a dance class, or standing with your arms crossed talking to a teacher isn't seen as being rude (as it was some years ago). I find it difficult to read the signs that are being sent out. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful quote! It similar from the idea that John Hattie(2012) mentions in his book "Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning" where he talks about competence being individual, people need to realize that everyone who is involved in any situation will perceive it differently due to their own individual life experiences. I understand that to mean that what may be true for one individual, might not necessarily be true for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone once said to me there are 3 sides to every story person 1, person 2 and the 'truth' and each time the story is retold a new 'truth' emerges. that's something I've always held in mind ever since and requoted to many students and peers. Such a funny thing interpretation will be hard as the inquiry progresses to establish truth/data from the stories. Exciting but daunting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts